Thursday, January 29, 2015

Road Trip In Pictures






I'm back from our road trip and slowly finding my way back to this neglected online space of mine. It's always hard to find the words after an extended break but even more so when the break involves a round trip of some 3200km as a solo parent with 5 Kids including around 20 hours on a Ferry. It's almost equivalent to driving from LA to New York and back. I'm still recovering! It was a wonderful trip though and the journey was quite cathartic if I'm honest. It involved lots of thinking time whilst driving, lots of time with the kids, with relatives, cousins, and lots of time visiting the places of my childhood. My Grandfather's funeral, which was the reason for the trip in the first place, was lovely. A Bugler played "The Last Post" and I think he would have been very happy to have all of his family together and hearing everyone recount their favourite stories. Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my last post - they were really appreciated.

The rest of the two weeks were spent at my Dad's farm, at my sisters place, on my cousin's sofa, a few nights in a caravan park and there may have been quite a bit of op-shop trawling in the little country towns between Melbourne and Sydney. The Kids travelled well but I did offer an incentive for if we could all manage the long car trip in a civilised manner - a day at thrill-seeking adventure at Jamberoo Action Park. This park has come along way since I last visited as a child and is now a fully fledged water theme park offering a multitude of water-slides as well as the new terrifying Funnel Web which involves a bit of free-falling and catapulting into a funnel. I don't remember much about that ride but I have the terrifying photos to prove that I was on board. The best bit is getting the chairlift up to the top of the mountain and then bobsledding/tobogganing down whilst taking in the picturesque views of the countryside and ocean beyond. I also loved showing the Kids around Canberra, our nation's Capital and where I lived whilst attending University. I couldn't believe how much this place had changed in the years since my last visit. We visited the Australian Wall memorial, Parliament House, walked around the lake, had dinner with old friends and the kids got a kick out of seeing the Irish Pub where Mummy and Daddy met and fell in love. On the last day of our trip we received the most wonderful news. My Brother-In-Law and his wife had welcomed their first precious baby into the world. A beautiful little girl. There really is no better news than the birth of a baby is there? We are all thrilled to bits. 

There's lots happening around the farm here too and I'm also really looking forward to catching up on all of your news. I've missed you guys!

27 comments :

  1. Hello Mel,

    Gosh, this really does sound to have been a marathon in every sense.

    We are sure that you are right about your grandfather's funeral. To have the whole family gathered together must have been a very moving experience and a great tribute to someone who clearly was greatly loved and highly influential. Those memories will stay with you and your children for all time.

    You have seen and done so much. This cannot gave been easy with 5 children in tow but they all look as if they have thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Perfect!

    And, now, you must take time to recover......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane and Lance....I'm hoping to enjoy the final week of school holidays relaxing at home before the new school year starts x

      Delete
  2. Very special memories have been created here, and a chance for you to reflect on your own precious memories too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel
    glad you are home safe{} No doubt the thought of setting of with the children that far on your own would have been daunting, but I can 'hear' you are glad you went xxx A healing time to be there.
    Take care
    PS where was that gigantic slide??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Erin, there was no question I was going to be there and it was every bit as special as I thought it would be.....the giant slide is the Bobsled/Toboggan at Jamberoo Action Park, a water theme park on the South Coast of NSW. You catch a chairlift up and then ride your own bobsled down to the bottom (about 15 times!!!). Was super fun x

      Delete
  4. Nice to have you back! Sounds like a lovely trip, despite the reason. Your kids are beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, it was great for us to get away and spend all of this time together before the farm is up and running in full swing x

      Delete
  5. Hey Mel,
    Your children have all grown up suddenly! How did that happen? What an amazing trip to share with them. Welcome home.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how Leanne, but they've all grown heaps these past few months x

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you had a safe and memorable journey, Mel. Loved seeing all the wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one amazing woman Mel! I don't think I could drive that far and How grown your children look on your photos, and happy, too. I am glad you had an amazing time, meeting family and having fun. I am sure your granddad was with you all the way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask about that shoot! It looks amazing and I quite fancy sliding down amidst this beautiful countryside. Was it quite scary or does it look scarier than it is?

      Delete
    2. We spent a day at Jamberoo Action Park, a water theme park with waterslides, wave pool, bobsled etc...You could control how fast or slow you went so that was not a problem and you could choose between a faster track or a slower track. The biggest issue was people stopping halfway down to take selfies and therefore slowing everyone else down! x

      Delete
  8. Mel you were missed I think! I does sound an epic trip and we are collectively glad to see you back safe and sound. How those kidlets of yours have grown up suddenly too. A noticeable difference. I've visited that op shop I'm sure sometime on our travels! What great photos, and like Christina I'd like to know where that slide is? Looks like fun. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamberoo Action Park on the south coast of NSW (south of Wollongong). It was great fun! The Kids loved it but so did I Wendy!!! x

      Delete
  9. Welcome home! Gosh, look at those smiling faces up there - such gorgeous kids you guys have! And what wonderful memories you've been able to create together. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an epic yet memorable trip Mel, I bet you're exhausted! Glad to hear you made it home safely and hope you get/got some rest in before school and farm work resumes. Love all the photos of your gorgeous and happy kids too...when did they all get so big!! x Dre

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that tree at the top, with the swing...it is AMAZING. I just want that yard, I will live in a caravan just to have that lawn, that tree, that space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have got some awesome pictures! That humongous tree - amazing! That slide looks like a ton of fun. And you did all of that by yourself (and the 5 kids)?! Go you! You now deserve another trip to relax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although of course the reason for your travels was not a happy one, I am glad for you that you could make the best of it and have some happy times too and that the travels all went well. Now you can sit down and relax for a little bit perhaps! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant to find you blogging again, and the good bits of your trip look and sound like really good bits. You must be exhausted though ... taking four kids on my own the length of the UK was hard enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a monster road trip! And that slide - it looks hair raising. I'm sure I'd have screamed all the way down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a hero! To take on that trip alone, to honor your grandfather, and to give your kids one amazing road trip! I think twice about driving to the other side of Sydney! What a fantastic time for your kids. We also seem to spend large portions of holidays in op shops ;) and we did Jamberoo one year on the last day it was open, end of the Autumn holidays. It was freezing but fun. We also found a grave at Jamberoo of one of my ancestors, behind one of the old churches, he settled there in the 1820s (after fighting in the Battle of Waterloo!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a long trip I didn't realise the distance was so huge the children did so well travelling so well. It was good to hear that the funeral went well and everyone recounted their favourite memories. I always love your family pictures, despite the sad occasion it must have been nice to spend some more time with your children and relatives. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete